Total Pageviews

Friday, May 1, 2009

Ma, They Threw Me Outta The Trailer Park!!

With a mother born and raised in Alabama, over 20 years in Kentucky and also a year in Texas, one would assume I would be more country, more southern by now than I would be Yankee wouldn't you? That doesn't seem to be the case though. Other than an obsessive love for the word y'all and way too much of an interest in Southern cooking (mmmm, fried chicken, collards and corn bread... I'm pretty sure they are on the Heavenly menu), I am still a city woman, ok let's be specific, a Chicago woman, at heart.

I have never quite fit in in the rural south (I do fine in Lexington but here?? Uh uh) and you know what... I think I'm glad of it. I have admitted to Elitist tendencies. I've never been one to be Politically Correct; I've always said what I thought, gotten on my soapbox to espouse causes I believe in, but never because it was trendy, simply because it meant something to me and part of that not being politically correct is that I haven't been able to bring myself to believe in the dogma of "everyone is the same; nobody is better". To that I say a simple hogwash. See, this wasn't the general theme of this entry but there I go again... getting on my soapbox and not being politically correct hehehe.

I was out getting some stuff done yesterday and I saw wayyyy too much "country" for my taste. I think I got stuck behind or gleefully saw others stuck behind about 6 tractors. Added to that was the truck full of blissfully ignorant cows being led to their slaughter so that their flesh can grace our dinner tables. Yeah yeah I know, there I go again... and I'm not even a vegetarian. I was a vegetarian once.... it was the longest day of my life.

No seriously, I was one for over a year because it DOES bug me that they are raised just for our food. Then my "lets go off on another path" mind will think "ok what if we DIDN'T eat them? What then? Would Cows soon become the next trendy pet?" I can see it now. "George, the cow got out again and I think it ate the little boy next door. We're gonna have to move again gosh durn it!" Or soon Cow Poaching and Pig Poaching would become federal offenses and people would serve time because that telltale trace of BBQ sauce on their chin gave them away "I give you exhibit one your honor! We have here a photograph of Mr. Joe Bob Inbred eating, yes I said EATING, his neighbors pet Pig Wilbur!!!" Meanwhile, Wilbur's owner sits in the courtroom wailing inconsolably. Mind you they are only wailing because they had been growing Wilbur nice and fat for themselves and now that hush hush family picnic complete with Piggy flesh was ruined but still...it was THEIR pet! Also, say we all decided en masse to never eat another animal (yes I know...humans decide ANYTHING en masse... but this is MY warped entry damn it), how long before we are overrun with cows and pigs and chickens and cute little lambs and they are the new animal enemy? "Breaking news!! Family terrorized by a group (gaggle, herd, whateverrrrrr!) of hungry pigs.... father still missing; stay tuned for details!"
Pet stores would have to totally change their floor plans to fit cages sized for 800 pound Bovines who enjoy munching on dead grass and pooping where they stand. "Our pet of the day is Buffy; she's a 1200 pound pregnant cow who just adores chasing string & being rubbed under her chin; we've had little success getting her litter trained though. Nobody makes a box large enough"
Wow, this changed from my original planned entry. I know how surprised you all are.
Where was I? Trailer park... thrown out because I'm too city... piggies and chickens and cows oh my... well maybe I'll save the original idea behind this topic (assuming I can even remember it) for a new topic. I'm off now to find some animal flesh to heat up and make crispy for dinner. Skin anyone??

No comments:

Post a Comment